Brand History & Data On Stone Island
Founder and Italian designer Massimo Osti first created “Chester Perry” — later to become C.P. Company — in 1974. Then in 1982, originally as an infusion assortment to C.P.Massimo formed the Stone Island brand we see at the moment as a place the place he may express other influences; to provide a extra casual vary than was easy to accommodate within the principle C.P. Brand.
Massimo used his own life experiences and the texture and look of each work wear and navy clothes as inspiration for the brand designs. There can also be a strong nautical affect — not unsurprising provided that Massimo was a really personal particular person, enjoying time to himself; sharing time with nature, the sea and his beloved crusing yacht.
However what of the name Stone Island
There has at all times been a lot speculation, discussion and delusion surrounding the origins of the Stone Island identify, what does it stand for, does it stand for something In truth the name itself also stems from his nautical influences.
Massimo needed a name that would specific the nautical adventure inspiration of the brand and set about researching the works of Joseph Conrad amassing phrases and phrases evocative of the feeling he wanted. He then mixed and worked with these words, seeing what would fit, what worked, what felt proper — from this course of the identify Stone Island was born and has change into synonymous with innovative design and garment technology worldwide.
There could be no doubt that the origins of this iconic symbol are those same nautical influences that led to the very identify Stone Island. While the basic ethos of the badge has remained all through the manufacturers history, certain details have, nonetheless, modified over time. The compass badge will be discovered on the left higher arm of Stone Island jackets and other long sleeve garments.
– The primary compass badges had inexperienced outlining to them; someday across the yr 2000 the inexperienced edging was dropped.
– A so called White Badge was launched for some restricted version items around the time of the millennium. The white badge continues to be found on limited edition garments made today.
– Shadow by title and by nature, the badge for the Stone Island Shadow range is depicted in a very apt black on black.
One factor usually mentioned of the iconic compass badge is that’s seems to be army and functional in design. This isn’t solely true however almost definitely intentional provided that when creating much of the brand fashion Massimo took as influences the purposeful resilient nature and look of traditional workwear and navy clothes of the time.
Material and garment research
Massimo Osti began life as a graphic designer, shifting into the designer clothing trade with the creation of what’s now the C.P. Company brand. Throughout he was at all times looking for to use his, on the time, non traditional design abilities to further the creation of his clothes; it is that this distinctive combination and determination to supply one thing new that created the brand and technologies we see right this moment.
Throughout his career he’s credited with the invention of several key ideas and methods that revolutionized the Italian clothes industry. For instance, four course of printing on fabric, garment dying, which you can see nearly all Stone Island jumpers have been dyed, brushed wool and rubber wool are a couple of other strategies used on knitwear.
Use of such innovative applied sciences has led to Stone Island being renowned worldwide for its material research and meticulous dyeing processes in order that immediately Stone Island is rightly famous for the creation of fabrics and processes distinctive to the model — with supplies akin to kevlar, metallic and glass finding their way into the jackets, trousers and different clothing bearing the famous compass badge.
This unique melding between state-of-the-art materials and a love for the basic purposeful form supplied by navy and dealing clothes has produced such classics as:
– The Ice Jacket, this is not a single merchandise however somewhat a range of jackets and designs produced for the reason that late 80’s. The jackets get their name each from their insulation and wind resisting properties and from the distinctive thermosensitive liquid crystal coating applied to them. This coating offers the jackets their chameleon like property of fixing color at low temperatures.
– Reflective Jacket, first seen in 1991 this excessive visibility jacket introduced one more unique material combining a waterproof fabric and glass microspheres. The glass microsphears enable the “Reflective” to pickup and reflect even the weakest mild supply allowing it to be easily seen in almost any circumstances possible.
– Metal Shell Jacket, available in a restricted version White Badge model these jackets incorporate actual metal into the outer fabric giving the finished end result a singular look that modifications as the light catches it from totally different angles.
The above are simply some of the vast array of design ideas put into follow by the Stone Island model.
So younger but so collectable
It’s the continued use of such unique technologies and fabrics that has lead to a stone island pit to pit sizes so referred to as “vintage” collectors market for the model, despite its relatively short history.
The corporate At present
As we speak the Stone Island brand is owned, manufactured and distributed worldwide by Sportswear Company (SPW). SPW was formed from the original C.P. Company as a result of corporate mergers and promote offs within the mid to late 80’s.