Lighthouses On The Isle Of Wight
Lighthouses on the Isle of Wight are major landmarks here on the island. It is an ideal location for lighthouse fanatics to go to. Under you will note island stones data regarding the lighthouses on the Isle of Wight.
Set in the western approaches to the Isle of Wight, the Needles kind a slender chalky peninsula which rises from jagged rocks to 120m cliffs. These rocks have at all times been a hazard to ships making their method up the Solent to Portsmouth and Southampton Water.
In 1781 merchants and shipowners petitioned Trinity Home for a lighthouse. They obtained a patent in January 1782 which directed that lights must be stored burning within the nightseason whereby seafaring men and mariners might take notice and keep away from danger….. and ships and other vessels of warfare would possibly safely cruise during the evening season in the British Channel.
Negotiations must have failed because it was not until 1785 that Trinity House erected to the designs of R. Jupp, for 30 years surveyor to the East India Company, three lighthouses on the Needles, St. Catherine’s Level and Hurst Point. The Needles tower was lighted on the 29th September 1786. As the tower was situated on high of a cliff overhanging Scratchell’s Bay, the sunshine which was 144m above sea stage was typically obscured by sea mists and fog and was therefore of restricted use to mariners.
In 1859 Trinity House deliberate a new lighthouse to be constructed on the outermost of the chalk rocks near sea level. It was designed by James Walker and value £20,000. The circular granite tower has perpendicular sides and is 33.25m excessive, of uniform diameter with an unevenly stepped base to break the waves and discourage sea sweeping up the tower. The wall varies from 1.07m in thickness on the entrance, to 0.61m at the highest. A lot of the bottom rock was reduce away to kind the foundation and cellars and storehouses were excavated within the chalk.
The sunshine on the Needles has two white, two pink and one green sector, with one of the crimson sectors intensified, these are set out as follows:
Pink intensified sector shore to 300 marks the St Anthony Rocks
White sector 300 to 083 marks the approach to the Needles Channel from the west
Red sector 083 to 212 marks the Shingles Financial institution
White sector 212 to 217 marks the course through the Needles Channel
Inexperienced sector 217 to 224 marks a protected channel past the Hatherwood Rocks and the Warden Ledge
A helipad was constructed on high of the Needles Lighthouse in 1987.
The Needles Lighthouse was automated in 1994, the keepers left the lighthouse for the last time on 8th December. Needles was the final Trinity Home lighthouse powered by 100V DC electricity from it is own generators; to enable the automation to be carried out mains power has been supplied via a subsea cable from the Needles Battery, which offers 240V AC energy for the new tools.
The original optic with it’s arrangements of inexperienced and pink glass giving the completely different coloured sectors of mild remained after automation but a new three position lampchanger was put in with two 1500W 240V most important lamps and a 24V battery powered emergency lamp.
The supertyphon air driven fog signal was changed by two Honeywell ELG 500 Hz directional fog alerts controlled by means of a fog detector. The emitter stacks had been mounted at gallery degree outdoors the helideck construction.
The Needles is monitored and managed via a cellphone telemetry link from the Trinity House Operations Control Centre at Harwich, Essex.
Established : 1786
Top Of Tower: 31 Metres
Height Of Gentle Above Mean High Water: 24 Metres
Lamp: 1500W 240V
Optic: 2nd Order 700Mm Fastened Lens
Character: White, Purple And Inexperienced Group Occurring Twice Each 20 Seconds (Light 14 Seconds, Eclipse 2 Seconds, Mild 2 Seconds, Eclipse 2 Seconds)
Intensity: Red (Intensified) three,950 Candela, White 12,300 Candela, Red 1,800 Candela, Green 2,680 Candela
Range Of Mild: Crimson (Intensified) 17 Sea Miles, White 17 Sea Miles, Pink 14 Sea Miles, Inexperienced 14 Sea Miles
Fog Sign Character: Sounding Twice Every 30 Seconds
ST CATHERINE’S LIGHTHOUSE
St Catherine’s Lighthouse is situated at Niton Undercliffe, 5 miles from Ventnor on the Isle of Wight and contains a white octagonal tower with ninety four steps up to the lantern. The main gentle, visible for up to 30 nautical miles in clear weather is the third most highly effective light within the Trinity House Service giving a guide to transport in the Channel as well as vessels approaching the Solent.
There may be a fixed red subsidiary mild displayed from a window 7 metres beneath the primary mild and proven westward over the Atherfield Ledge. It is seen for 17 miles in clear weather, and was first exhibited in 1904. Both lights are electric, and standby battery lights are offered in case of a energy failure.
A small gentle was first set up at St. Catherine’s in about 1323 by Walter de Godyton. He erected a chapel and added an endowment for a priest to say Lots for his family and to exhibit lights at night time to warn ships from approaching too close to this dangerous coast, each purposes being fulfilled until about 1530 when the Reformation swept away the endowment. Neither the current lighthouse tower lighted in March 1840, nor the chapel of which the ruins remain, held these historical lights. The current tower was constructed in 1838 following the lack of the crusing ship CLARENDON on rocks close to the site of the present lighthouse. The lighthouse was constructed of ashlar stone with dressed quoins and was carried up from a base plinth as a three tier octagon, diminishing by levels. The elevation of the sunshine proved to be too excessive, as the lantern continuously turned mist capped and in 1875 it was determined to decrease the light 13 metres by taking about 6 metres out of the uppermost section of the tower and about 7 metres out of the center tier, which destroyed its magnificence and made it appear dwarfed.
At the moment the fog sign house was situated close to the edge of the cliff but owing to erosion and cliff settlements the constructing developed such critical cracks that in 1932 it became obligatory to find a brand new place for the fog sign, which was finally mounted on a decrease tower annexed to the entrance of the lighthouse tower, and built as a small replica. The resultant effect has been to present a nicely proportioned step down between the two towers which at the moment are expressively referred to by the local inhabitants as “The Cow and the Calf”. Stone Island Shop The fog sign was discontinued in 1987.
A tragic incident occurred at the station during the Second World Struggle. On the first June 1943 a bombing raid destroyed the engine house killing the three keepers on duty who had taken shelter within the constructing. R.T. Grenfell, C. Tomkins and W.E. Jones had been buried in the native cemetery at Niton village and a plaque in remembrance of them is displayed on the ground ground of the principle tower.
St Catherines Lighthouse was automated in 1997 with the keepers leaving the lighthouse on 30 July.
The lighthouse had been a weather reporting station for the Meteorological Office for some years;the keepers made hourly studies which included the temperature, humidity, cloud height and formation and wind path and power. Following demanning of the lighthouse an computerized weather reporting station was installed which sends details of the weather conditions to the Met. Workplace.
The lighthouse itself is now monitored and controlled from the Trinity Home Operations Control Centre at Harwich in Essex.
Peak Of Tower: 27 Metres
Peak Of Light Above Mean High Water: 41 Metres
Automated: 30 July 1997
Lamp: 2 X four hundred W Mbi Lamp
Optic: 2nd Order four Panel Catadioptric
Character: One White Flash Every 5 Seconds
Intensity: 927,000 Candela
Range Of Mild: 26 Sea Miles
EGYPT Level (This light will not be operational)
Photo: Steven Winter
Tower Peak: 25 ft.
Description of Tower: Crimson publish with white lantern, on round white base.
Date Established: 1897
Date Present Tower Built: 1897
Date Deactivated: 1989
THE NAB TOWER
This curious looking object a couple of miles to the South East of Bembridge started life during the first World Struggle as a part of an anti-submarine defence system. During 1916 the British Admiralty, alarmed by the losses of allied merchant delivery to German U-boats designed 4 or six towers that have been to be built and positioned in the Straits of Dover. They can be linked together with steel nets and armed with two 4″ guns. However when the Armistice was signed in 1918 only one of many planned towers was wherever close to completion. The others had been dismantled, but what was to be achieved with this 92 foot tall steel cylinder (costing a million pounds sterling, in those days), sitting on its raft of concrete
Until the top of the first World Warfare the harmful Nab Rock had been marked by a lightship, and it was decided to change this with a hard and fast lighthouse. The new lighthouse was floated into place and the concrete island stones raft (189ft lengthy, by 150ft extensive, by 80ft deep) flooded so the tower might sit on a shingle financial institution near the Nab Rock.
As could be seen from the photograph the tower took up a distinct angle (3 degrees from the vertical towards the Northeast) when it settled. The lighthouse was once manned by a crew of 4, but in widespread with all Britain’s lighthouses it is now unmanned and is totally automated.
Throughout WWII the Nab was armed with two 40mm Bofors Guns and was credited with taking pictures down 3½ enemy aircraft (the half was shared with a passing ship).
The tower still gives a welcoming sight to seafarers returning to the Solent at the end of their voyage. In November 1999 the Nab was hit by a freighter, the Dole-America, carrying a cargo of bananas and pineapples. The ship was badly broken and only prevented sinking by being run-aground. The base of the tower suffered only superficial damage.